Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Infamous Trailer

For years my grandparents have been telling me about an old trailer on their property. They said it was full of furniture and mementos from my great grandparents. To a lover of old things like me, this sounded like the holy grail. The only hitch with the infamous trailer was that it hadn't been opened in years, and most likely will be filled with all kinds of critters.
Well, we finally got up the gumption to crack open the trailer last week. Of course, I made sure to wear my dad's knee high boots, just in case a raccoon decided to get a little too fresh with me. I was most definitely not disappointed with the contents of the infamous trailer. It was filled with my great grandparents kitchen chairs, bedroom furniture, and dishware. We found letters my grandpa wrote home during World War II. We even found the sides to my grandpa's baby crib. 
I think the best part of the experience was seeing Grandpa and Grandma react to the things we found. They could tell you where furniture sat in the old house and what year different letters were sent home. I'm currently cleaning up some of our treasures so that yet another generation can use them and remember the stories of where they came from. I just love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment