Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Globally-Conscious Goods

I'm always looking for fun clothes, shoes, and accessories, much like any other twenty-something girl. I've found some products that I just love that do a lot of good as well. Most of them don't just give money to those in need around the word, but also give them a job making the product being sold. I really like that idea. It's the whole "catch a fish vs. teach them to fish" saying. I wanted to share a few of my current favorites!

Sseko Sandals.


I bought these last year and have loved them ever since. They are made by women in Uganda. The company helps them raise money for college with the hope that they will come back to the Sseko company in the profession they studied. How cool is that?


Toms Shoes

Most people know all about Toms, which is a great thing! For every pair of Toms shoes that you buy, they give a pair of shoes to a child in need. They now are doing the same thing with glasses, too.


Amazima Magazine Jewelry

I just found out about Amazima Ministries and the inspiring story of Katie Davis yesterday. Katie moved to Uganda to care for vulnerable children and is now mom to thirteen (13!) girls she met there. Did I mention that she is two years younger than me? I can never again complain about being busy. Anyway, this jewelry is made through Katie's ministry and employs Ugandan women to give them the skills to go start their own small business after working with Amazima. Doesn't hurt that these necklaces are super cute. Last I looked, they are sold out of items but they frequently restock.


Mend Bags

These are my newest favorite. They are made by women who were directly affected by the LRA conflict in Africa (which Invisible Children is currently raising awareness about). I wish I had a birthday or holiday coming up soon so I could ask for this!



Now go forth to shop and do good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment