Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY Dream Catcher


I remember making these every summer at Girl Scout day camp. Love them! I recently made one for a friend and thought I would share.

You will need:
Embroidery hoop, yarn, embroidery floss, feathers, beads, scissors

Start by wrapping the embroidery hoop in yarn. I secured the yarn with a dot of hot glue.


Take a long piece of embroidery floss and tie it to the top of the embroidery hoop. To start the dream catcher pattern, loop the floss as shown about an inch away from where you knotted the floss. Continue to loop the floss every inch or so the entire away around the hoop.

Once you have gotten to the top of the hoop once again, continue to loop the floss, but this time make the loop on the floss attached to the hoop. You are making a second level of the pattern. Continue the looping until you reach the very middle of the hoop.

Once you get to the middle, knot the floss and cut off any access string. I added a bead to the end of the floss before I knotted it.

For added decoration, hang floss down from the bottom of the embroidery hoop. Add beads and feathers as you like. I secured my feathers with floral tape, but hot glue would also work (you can hide the hot glue mark with the beads if you use this technique).

And you're done! I also added embroidery floss to the top for easy hanging. Sweet dreams tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment