Saturday, August 4, 2012

Homemade Pesto

I have been growing basil in my garden for a while now in preparation to make this:


Then, this happened:

Some cute little furry animal decimated my basil crop. I mean, not even one little plant left. To say I was upset by this would be an understatement. All my pesto dreams are now in a bunny's belly. But! Luckily my friends Matt and Kourtney shared their basil crop with me and I finally got to make my pesto. Here's the recipe I used. I didn't have any pine nuts in my kitchen, so I found this recipe that doesn't call for them.

Basil Pesto

3 cups fresh basil leaves
2-3 cloves garlic
About 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Splash of fresh lemon juice
About 1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. In a food processor or blender, chop up the garlic until it is minced.
2. Add in the basil and cheese and start to blend. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the machine is running. Blend until smooth.
3. Squeeze in a little lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Taste the sauce and adjust to your likings.
5. Put in a freezer container and freeze if you wish or use it right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment