Sunday, July 15, 2012

Canvas Art DIY

As many of you know, Jake and I are huge music fans. It is interesting, though, what we hear when we first listen to a song. Jake listens more to the melody and rhythms, I first listen to the lyrics. We fit pretty well together, huh? :)

My love of lyrics comes through in this little DIY. 

You will need...
 Pencil, scissors, large sewing needle, embroidery floss of your choice, canvas (mine was 8x10)

First, pick out a favorite lyric or quote. Mine is a Mumford & Sons quote (see below).

Next, create a design to go along with the quote. I picked a simple tree because of the area of our living room it was going to hang. Lightly trace this design onto the canvas.

Thread your needle with embroidery floss and start stitching on top of your pencil tracing. Make the stitches very close together so that you don't see much of the pencil lines. Secure the embroidery floss to the back of your canvas by knotting it to another section of the floss. This doesn't have to be perfect; it will stay put when it's on the wall.

You can find another example of this technique here on Sincerely, Kinsey. This one is a little busier than mine, but I'd love to do this when I find another worthy lyric! Love her blog so much.

And that's all there is to it! This probably took me two hours or so. It kept me busy while watching the NBA playoffs with the husband, actually. :)

And for your listening pleasure, the song that inspired this DIY.

1 comment:

  1. I need a text answer for my couch-sitting bum: where did you get your canvas?!? It is the perfect answer to a project I want to tackle!

    ReplyDelete